This is our family’s favorite St. Patrick’s Day Recipe. I don’t believe you can find a better Corned Beef and Cabbage anywhere. This is adapted from a recipe originally published by Jeff Smith.
Irish Boiled Dinner
- 2-3 Lbs Corned Beef Or Fresh Brisket
- 2 Bottles Beer
- 2 Cups Water or just enough to cover
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 10 Black peppercorns
- ½ Cup Chopped parsley
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic peeled and sliced
- 2 Cups Chopped and rinsed leeks white parts only
- 1 Medium Yellow onion peeled and sliced
- ¼ Lb Large carrots peeled and cut into large pieces
- ¼ Lb Red potatoes quartered
- 1 Lb Turnips peeled and quartered
- 2 Lbs Green cabbage cut into sixths (secure with toothpicks)
- Pepper to taste
Place beef in a large pot. Add beer, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, parsley, and salt.
Heat a frying pan and add the olive oil and sauté the garlic, leeks and yellow onion for a few minutes and add to the stewing meat.
Cover the pot and simmer gently for 31/2 hours. Check in-between, if liquid gets too low, add more water and beer.
In the last 25 minutes of cooking add the carrots and red potatoes.
In the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the turnips, cabbage and salt and pepper.
Remove the toothpicks from cabbage before serving.