This is a great Morroccan style stew. It is delectably sweet and spicy (can be very spicy). You can eat it on its own or serve over couscous or rice.
Beef and Apricot Tagine
A wonderfully sweet and spicy Morroccan stew.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Lbs Beef Stew Meat Cubed
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Ginger Fresh Grated
- 1 Red Onion Cut into Wedges/Slices
- 3 Carrots Sliced
- 12 Oz Chickpeas Canned
- 12 Oz Diced Tomatoes Canned
- 1 Cup Dried Apricots
- 6 Oz Dry White Wine
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Ras El Hanout
- 1 Pinch Saffron
- 1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp Pomegranate Seeds Optional, but adds another level of flavor
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro for Garnish
Season cubed beef with garlic, salt pepper and ginger. Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add seasoned meat. Brown meat on all sides, then add onion and carrots. cook until onions soften.
Remove Ingredients from pan and place in a crock pot set on high.
Deglaze the pan with the white wine and vinegar, then pour over the meat mixture in the crock pot.
Add the remaining ingredients to the crockpot and cook for 4 hours.
Serve over your favorite starch such as couscous, rice or quinoa.
Garnish with fresh cilantro at the table.